BRUSSELS SPROUTS & NUTS
IN VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
1 pound Brussels sprouts
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a colander, rinse the Brussels sprouts, then trim their bottom ends.
2. With a small sharp knife make a ½-inch-deep cut in the middle of the stem-side only of the largest Brussels sprouts. This is to accelerate their cooking time to match the cooking time of the smaller sprouts.
3. Steam the Brussels sprouts about 15 minutes, until the largest ones are tender-crisp.
4. Drain the Brussels sprouts and gently rinse them with cold water for 5 seconds to halt the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
5. In a medium bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients. Toss the Brussels sprouts with the dressing, then mix in the nuts.
Serve warm or cold.